This sweater is knit in the round from the neck to the hem, with stitches set aside for the sleeves, which are then knit down from the yoke.
The pattern is a two-round repeat that uses slip stitches every other round to create firm vertical lines that contrast with the horizontal blocks of colour. Colours are changed every two rounds (except in transition sections) which is ideal for creating ombre or fade effects that make maximum use of tonal and speckled hand-dyed yarns.
This is an intermediate pattern, and includes circular techniques and short row shaping for the back neck. The knitter must keep two sets of instructions going at the same time: the colour changes and the yoke shaping.
The pattern includes links to YouTube tutorials for special techniques and includes a yardage calculation chart for those wishing to make modifications to the number of colours.
This garment is a slim fit, especially in the sleeves. When choosing a size, be sure to note the upper arm measurements given in the schematic.
I'm a loose knitter and got this gauge comfortably using DK weight yarn. Tight knitters may need to adjust their needles, or try using a worsted weight yarn, like Madeline Tosh Vintage, which is available in equally stunning colourways.
ABOUT THIS PATTERN
- Number of pages: 7
- Written instructions, no charts
- 11 Women’s Sizes: S [34/36/38] M [40/42/44/46] L [48/50/52/54]”
- Measurements given in inches
- S [913/955/1126] M [1251/1330/1451/1551] L [1618/1751/1878/1952] yards DK weight yarn
- Colour A: S [91/100/113] M [125/133/145/155] L [162/175/188/195] yards
- Colour B: S [192/180/236] M [262/279/304/325] L [340/367/394/410] yards
- Colours C, D & E: S [210/225/259] M [288/306/334/357] L [372/403/432/449] yards
- US 6 (4 mm) and US 4 (3.5 mm) needles: 32” or 40” circular depending on size & DPNs or preferred needles for small circumference work in the round
- Darning needle
- Four different stitch markers
- 20 sts/30 rounds over 4”/10cm square in slip stitch pattern
- Use the needles that get you gauge - designed by a loose knitter!
Get it on Ravelry for $7.00 CAD
Use coupon code MADTOSH and get 30% off until midnight March 23, 2018.